Treatment for CFS/FM/IBS has two paths:
- Symptom mitigation
- Remission seeking
Symptom treating means treating for things like coagulation, pain, etc. It makes living with it less painful.
Remission seeking means trying to end what is causing the coagulation, cytokines production, etc. Ending living with it. Often this route results in a Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction which may go on for days, weeks or months. My primary interest is remission.
Treatment Reasoning and Background
I suggest that the items below should be read, especially, for the brain fog. The following four links (3 to Health Rising) should explain the model and experience that I had:
- CHANGING YOUR GUT FLORA PT I: FOOD TO FEED THE GOOD BACTERIA IN CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME
- KEN LASSESEN ON CHANGING THE GUT ECOSYSTEM WITH PROBIOTICS
- CHANGE AGENTS: KEN LASSESEN ON PRESCRIPTION AND HERBAL ANTIBIOTICS TO ALTER THE GUT FLORA IN CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME
- My Story
The next item is a starting point post, that suggests a starting point.
The first thing to realize is that Lactobacillus Acidophilus is NOT a friend to CFS patients. You want to avoid it whenever possible. Heresy – no argument from me. L.A. works well for healthy individuals. For CFSers it makes a bad situation worst.
The following probiotics are very likely to have positive effects (especially if you have IBS concurrent with CFS):
- Most Colon Care Probiotics that contain Bifidobacterium ONLY – no L.A. For example. You may need to try several different brands to find one that works for you.
- Ultimate Flora RTS – Colon Care Probiotic,
- RiteAid’s Colon Care (has LA but some have reported benefits),
- Phillips Colon Care.
- Bifidobacterium infantis 35624 – a demonstrated probiotic (Align)
- Propionibacterium freudenreichii – Another Probiotic of Interest
- Lactobacillus Reteuri: Only three known sources:
- BioGaia products
- Blackmore (which appears to be BiolGaia under license)
- Prescript-Assist Broad Spectrum Probiotic Prebiotic Complex
- #1 Choice: Mutaflor (Escherichia Coli Nissle 1917) — Used in Europe for CFS
In addition to the above, Dental Oral Probiotics are recommended (again, avoid any with L.A.)
This will give you a starting point on the journey…