Alpha Lipoic Acid(ALA) is a frequently recommended supplements by CFS specialists. It is good to see why it may work so often to reduce symptoms.
First it reduces coagulation issues, and improves blood flow
- Decreases CD62P platelet expression
- Decreases fibrinogen, factor VII, vWF, and triglycerides
- Decreases plasma levels of free fatty acids, triglyceride, total cholesterol, low density lipoprotein-cholesterol, small dense LDL-cholesterol, oxidized LDL-cholesterol, very low density lipoprotein-cholesterol
Second it reduce inflammation levels
- Decreases C-Reactive Protiens levels by 19%
- Decreases cytokines such as TNF-alpha, IL-6
Third, it been documented to decreases symptoms of neuropathy and neuropathic deficit (which could be because of improved blood flow, reduced inflammation or both). It also improves nerve function.
The last aspect is interesting, it also normalizes choline, an amino acid. Choline is high in occipital cortex areas of the brain and abnormally high in most patients. Choline reduces with viral clearance. This reduction has been documented to produce significant improvements in verbal learning, memory, and visuo-spatial memory.