It is interesting to note that Mutaflor (E.Coli Nissle 1917) is included in the list.
These lists studied probiotics for various conditions and the degree of evidence supporting the conditions that they help.
- Infections diarrhea aka ID
- Antibiotic associated diarrhea – Prevention aka AAD
- Clostridium Difficile associtaed diarreha – Prevention aka CDAD
- Traveler’s diarrhea aka TD
- Constipation aka C
- Functional abdominal pain aka FAP
- Irritable bowel syndrome aka IBS
- Ulcerative colitis – Adjunct to standard therapy aka IBD-UC
- Inflammatory bowel disease – Pouchitis aka IBD-P
- Heliobacter pylori – Adjunct to standard eradication therapy aka HP
- Oral health aka OH
- Reduction of LDL and total cholesterol aka LDL-C
- Common infectious disease aka CID
With the degree of evidence supporting their use.
Guides are available for:
- US http://usprobioticguide.com/
- Canada http://www.probioticchart.ca/
There is also, “A Gastroenterologist’s Guide to Probiotics” with an audio pod cast.