FULL DISCLOSURE: I am employed by Starbucks.
Last week at my work place weekly coffee tasting, we did not have coffee. We had juice from Evolution Fresh (https://www.evolutionfresh.com/ ) sold by Starbucks, Target and other stores. The presenter mentioned it contains probiotics — and I immediately asked for the specific strain that it contains! After some emails, and the presenter beating the bushes (perhaps it was her fellow workers that she was beating!), I was informed that it was Bacillus coagulans GBI-30, 6086 (No information on CFU per bottle).
Off to Pub Med Land
- “The results provide evidence that probiotic supplementation in combination with protein tended to reduce indices of muscle damage, improves recovery, and maintains physical performance subsequent to damaging exercise.” https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27547577
- “ Once active in the small intestine after germination, it has been shown to aid the digestion of carbohydrates and proteins. Co-administration of B. coagulans GBI-30, 6086 with protein has been shown to increase protein absorption and to maximize the health benefits associated with protein supplementation.” https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29196920
- “Thus, the enhanced protein digestion by BC30 showed a dual benefit: enhanced amino acid bioavailability from plant proteins in the upper GI tract, and a healthier environment in the colon.” https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28504581
- “Consumption of BC30 significantly increased populations of Faecalibacterium prausnitzii by 0.1 log10 cells/mL more than during consumption of the placebo (P = 0.03), whereas populations of Bacillus spp. increased significantly by 0.5 log10 cells/mL from baseline in volunteers who consumed BC30 (P = 0.007). LPS-stimulated PBMCs showed a 0.2 ng/mL increase in the anti-inflammatory cytokine IL-10 28 d after consumption of BC30 (P < 0.05), whereas the placebo did not affect IL-10, and no overall difference was found in the effect of the treatments.” https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25948780
- ” Samples from volunteers having ingested the BC30 also increased populations of C. lituseburense, Eubacterium rectale and F. prausnitzii more so than in persons who had consumed the placebo, this also resulted in significantly higher concentrations of butyrate, acetate and propionate. ” https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25219857
- Bacillus coagulans: a viable adjunct therapy for relieving symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis according to a randomized, controlled trial.“Subjects who received Bacillus coagulans GBI-30, 6086 experienced borderline statistically significant improvement in the Patient Pain Assessment score (P = .052) and statistically significant improvement in Pain Scale (P = .046) vs placebo.”
- Bacillus coagulans significantly improved abdominal pain and bloating in patients with IBS.“Preliminary data suggest that the patented B coagulans GBI-30, 6086 probiotic may be a safe and effective option for the relief of abdominal pain and bloating for patients with IBS.”
- Effects of a proprietary Bacillus coagulans preparation on symptoms of diarrhea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome.”
“This small pilot study provides evidence that the proprietary B. coagulans GBI-30, 6086 probiotic is safe and effective for reducing daily bowel movements in patients with IBS-D.”
For myself, when I buy a fruit juice, I tend to have it by itself. This is not the best use of this juice with probiotics. With this fruit juice, you should also have protein (Starbucks also sells Protein Boxes) and plant proteins (which are already in the juice). This probiotics is also available in capsules:
- Digestive Advantage Lactose Defense formula, 32 Capsules 0.5 BCFU per capsule for $8-10
- Remember both protein and some carbohydrates should be take with it — this likely applies to all Bacillus probiotics.