At Costco today, I noticed a product and checking the label I found that it was a single strain. A quick check on PubMed, found enough interesting items to toss one in the cart.
My usual reaction to seeing ‘probiotic gummies’ is to dismiss it as marketing…
- Bacillus coagulans GBI-30, 6086 Modulates Faecalibacterium prausnitzii in Older Men and Women 2015]. “Consumption of BC30 significantly increased populations of Faecalibacterium prausnitzii by 0.1 log10 cells/mL more than during consumption of the placebo (P = 0.03), whereas populations of Bacillus spp. increased significantly by 0.5 log10 cells/mL from baseline in volunteers who consumed BC30 (P = 0.007)” which has cascading impacts:
- Effect of prebiotics on the fecal microbiota of elderly volunteers after dietary supplementation ofBacillus coagulans GBI-30, 6086.
- “Baseline populations of Faecalibacterium prausnitzii, Clostridium lituseburense,Eubacterium rectale and Bacillus spp. were significantly higher in those having consumed BC30 compared to the placebo.” 
- ” possible benefit of this probiotic for residual inflammation in treated HIV-1 infection, although further study will be required to determine the immune pathways involved.” 
- Bacillus coagulans GBI-30, 6086 limits the recurrence of Clostridium difficile-Induced colitis following vancomycin withdrawal in mice .
- Use of a continuous culture fermentation system to investigate the effect of GanedenBC30 (Bacilluscoagulans GBI-30, 6086) supplementation on pathogen survival in the human gut microbiota. “suggesting that a bi-modal lifecycle of GanedenBC(30)in vivo may lead to anti-microbial activity in distal regions of the gastrointestinal tract.”
- Effects of a proprietary Bacillus coagulans preparation on symptoms of diarrhea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome . “Of the remaining 52 patients with IBS-D, the average number of bowel movements per day was significantly reduced for patients treated with B. coagulans GBI-30, 6086”
- Bacillus coagulans: a viable adjunct therapy for relieving symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis according to a randomized, controlled trial. “Compared with placebo, Bacillus coagulans GBI-30, 6086 treatment resulted in greater improvement in patient global assessment and self-assessed disability; reduction in CRP; as well as the ability to walk 2 miles, reach, and participate in daily activities.”
- Bacillus coagulans significantly improved abdominal pain and bloating in patients with IBS.
- A patented strain of Bacillus coagulans increased immune response to viral challenge .
Give me gummies! This was a totally unexpected find.
WARNING: This is a histamine producer. See this post on bacillus and histamines. It is not suitable for all CFS patients.
P.S. Schiff also sells it in capsules — but taking Gummies is much more fun!