For the third item from the Metabolite Explorer, we return to a LOW item, Secondary metabolite degradation: Dioxin degradation. Here we see
- Low 8/14
- High 1 /14
- Normal 5/14
We all know the term dioxin and usually associate with man-made evil chemicals associated with PCBs. This reduced ability to degrade dioxin may means increase culmination of dioxin in the body for some (not sufficient clearance for the intake).
“The terms ‘dioxins’ and ‘dioxin-like compounds’ are used in literature when referring to a large family of chemical compounds that are found in trace amounts in nearly all realms of the environment….Dioxins are the byproducts of both anthropogenic activity and natural processes. “[src]
What is the main source of dioxin in the environment, according to the EPA, Backyard burning of refuse accounts for 35%!
The World Health Organization(WHO) writes
- “Dioxins are found throughout the world in the environment and they accumulate in the food chain, mainly in the fatty tissue of animals.
- More than 90% of human exposure is through food, mainly meat and dairy products, fish and shellfish.
- Once dioxins enter the body, they last a long time because of their chemical stability and their ability to be absorbed by fat tissue, where they are then stored in the body. Their half-life in the body is estimated to be 7 to 11 years. In the environment, dioxins tend to accumulate in the food chain. The higher an animal is in the food chain, the higher the concentration of dioxins.
- Long-term exposure is linked to impairment of the immune system, the developing nervous system, the endocrine system and reproductive functions.
- Trimming fat from meat and consuming low fat dairy products may decrease the exposure to dioxin compounds. However, the possibility for consumers to reduce their own exposure is somewhat limited.”
- “Maternal Resveratrol Treatment Reduces the Risk of Mammary Carcinogenesis in Female Offspring Prenatally Exposure to 2,3,7,8-Tetrachlorodibenzo-p-Dioxin. ”
- In my last post, we saw up regulation of resveratrol biosynthesis in the CFS population, this may be tied to the down degradation of dioxin etc.
- ” The widespread distribution of dioxins, PCBs and PAHs is considered to be a risk factor for cancer and autoimmune diseases, but could also be a significant public health concern for Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) a debilitating neurodegenerative condition” – that is neurological impact.
- “Activated carbon (AC) is an increasingly attractive remediation alternative for the sequestration of dioxins at contaminated sites globally. However, the potential for AC to reduce the bioavailability of dioxins in mammals and the residing gut microbiota has received less attention… AC appeared to have a minimal influence on murine gut community structure and diversity, affecting only the relative abundance of Lactobacillaceae and two other groups. Results of this study further support the remedial use of AC for eliminating bioavailability of TCDD to host and subsequent influence on the gut microbiome.” 
- “A qPCR primer set targeting Enterobacteriaceae also showed 10- to 100-fold higher abundance in 2,3,7,8-Tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD)-treated groups, which was further verified using metagenomics.” 
- “Test dose of folic acid and resveratrol both had certain antagonistic effect on cleft palate in mice induced by TCDD, with folic acid 10 mg/kg, resveratrol 50 mg/kg GD8-13 doses having stronger antagonistic action.” 
- Treatment of mice with 2,3,7,8-Tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin markedly increases the levels of a number of cytochrome P450 metabolites of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in the liver and lung .
If you have a low Dioxin degradation, then the best information appears to suggest:
- Reduce food and supplements (i.e. Fish Oil, some Omega-3 and 6) higher in dioxin. Trim fat off meat. Low fat dairy products.
- Resveratrol supplementation
- Folic acid supplementation
- Activated charcoal
Do not expect quick results. To reduce half of the existing dioxin is 7 to 11 years, with a low degradation it may be even longer without some of the above.
This is an education post to facilitate discussing this approach with your medical professionals. It is not medical advice for the treatment of any medical condition. Always consult with your medical professional before doing any changes of diet, supplements or activity. Some items cites may interfere with prescription medicines.