I came across this while examining environmental illness. There are two features that makes Lactobacillus fermentum ME-3 DSM-14241 of special interest:
- It is human sourced — thus there is a reasonable chance that it may take up residence
- It produces glutathione — very unusual
Last, it is available on Amazon.com (this specific strain)
Pub Med Literature Review
- ” L. fermentum ME-3 is a unique strain of Lactobacillus species, having at the same time the antimicrobial and physiologically effective antioxidative properties and expressing health-promoting characteristics if consumed. Tartu University has patented this strain in Estonia (priority June 2001, patent in 2006), Russia (patent in 2006) and the USA (patent in 2007).”  [Full text– an interesting read]
- ” the strains of the L. fermentum species were also found from some other Estonian children, yet not from Swedes!”
- “The consumption of Reg’Activ Cholesterol (containing Lactobacillus fermentum ME-3) in clinically asymptomatic volunteers with borderline-high values of risk factors for cardiovascular disease (BMI, HbA1c%, LDL cholesterol) for 4 weeks had a positive effect on blood lipoprotein, oxidative stress and inflammatory profile.” 
- ” this study show that probiotic L. fermentum ME-3 contains both glutathione peroxidase and glutathione reductase. We also present that L. fermentum ME-3 can transport GSH from environment and synthesize GSH. This means that it is characterized by a complete glutathione system: synthesis, uptake and redox turnover ability that makes L. fermentum ME-3 a perfect protector against oxidative stress. To our best knowledge studies on existence of the complete glutathione system in probiotic LAB strains are still absent and glutathione synthesis in them has not been demonstrated.” 
- “only L. casei spp. (including L. casei 114001) and L. fermentum ME-3 revealed pronounced ability to suppress oxidation of luminol (by 43-65,8%) and microsomal lipid peroxidation (by 57,9-89,5%).” 
- Available in some cheeses in Europe (Baltic area) 
- “The gene encoding for the multi-copper oxidase was sequenced and detected also in other amine-degrading strains of Lb. fermentum, … was able to degrade all the BAs were singly used as adjunct starter for decreasing the concentration of histamine and tyramine in industrial Caciocavallo cheese.” 
- “Lactobacillus fermentum (two strains) caused very low (4.2% – 8.8%) histamine release.” 
- “Histamine release induced by … L. fermentum was lower (at a range of 2.4%-8.2%).” 
- ” one of the L. fermentum (LAC 42) showed activity also against Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Klebsiella pneumoniae… Our data on this antibacterial molecule suggest that it is a compound with low molecular weight and with highly hydrophilic component.”  – low molecular weight is needed to cross the blood-brain barrier.
- “the current study demonstrated that probiotic consumption(Including L.F) for 12 weeks positively affects cognitive function and some metabolic statuses in the Alzheimer’s disease patients.” 
From Patent Filing
- “has a high anti-microbial effect on Escherichia coli, Shigella sonnei, Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella typhimurium, and moderate activity against Helicobacter pylori strains.”
- “Up to the present no strain of lactobacilli with an extensive anti-microbial effect against numerous pathogens and opportunistic pathogens has been described.” – this one does!!!!
- “The innate resistance of Lactobacillus fermentum ME-3 against antimicrobial preparations (TMP-SMX, ofloxacin, aztreonam, cefoxitin and metronidazole) allows to use it as a preparation accompanying antibiotic treatment in case of gastrointestinal and uroinfections”
- For making Yogurt: “Lactobacillus fermentum ME-3 pure culture in 0.15% MRS-agar is used for producing the yoghurt, additionally the pure cultures of Lactobacillus plantarum and Lactobacillus buchneri are seeded into fresh goat milk autoclaved for 20 min at 110° C. Three cultures of these strains of lactobacilli are mixed in equal proportions together with 2% of Streptococcus thermophilus and are added in 0.2% of content into autoclaved goat milk.”
- Press Release
- Reg’Activ – Amazon US – available first in 2015.