In general, I prefer single species or single strain probiotics that has studies on PubMed. On occasion, a probiotic mixture makes it to my “second line probiotics to try”. There is a new pair on the market (one for men, one for women) that passes the bar.
What is my bar?
- All of the strains are human sourced
- A majority of strains have published studies showing benefits
- Reasonable cost
Ideally, the probiotic should persist. This appears to NOT OCCUR with Seed, see this update on the results after 2 months on Seed.
This is a new company whose probiotics are available for PRE-ORDER for $49.99/month with a 30 day guarantee (I believe this is a money back if no change)
Considering this is ~100 BCFU/day, the cost is very reasonable.
Note that the country of origin is included in the strain designation.
This from a technical perspective, beats the pants off the typical health-food store probiotic mixture.
I grabbed one of the above strains (B. lactis SD-MB2409-IT) and did a little digging:
- Innovative probiotics and systemic bioactive metabolites. Anti-ageing potential (2012)
- Bacterial strains belonging to the genus for use in the treatment of hypercholesterolaemia (Patent – 2012)
- Bifidobacteria supplementation: effects on plasma lipid profiles in dyslipidemic children (2014)
They do have a referral program, if you order via this link, I get free product (no cash).