Before I could get Nattokinase as capsule, I was getting it from a Japanese desert food called “Natto” that was available at our local market (which happened to be owned by a Japanese family that has been in the US since 1900).
It’s main characteristics are:
- Cleaves cross-linked fibrin
- Decreases red blood cell aggregation and shear-viscosity of blood cells
- Inactivates plasminogen activator inhibitor type 1 and then potentiates fibrinolytic activity
- Increases activated factor VII levels
- Maximum dosage: 4000 Fibrin Units (any more on a continouse basis may result in bruising or bleeding risk)
As always, consult with your knowledgeable medical professional before adding any new supplement.
The use of nattokinase(STN) as functional foods to improve blood circulation is getting attention because STN actively degrades fibrin. Our results demonstrate that widely occurring unsaturated fatty acids such as linoleic, eicosapentaenoic, and docosahexaenoic acids enhance the fibrinolytic activity of STN. Thus, the intake of natto or STN supplements in combination with unsaturated fatty acid-containing oil can be a novel way to gain cardiovascular benefits.Unsaturated fatty acids enhance the fibrinolytic activity of subtilisin NAT (nattokinase)