Caution on this applying to all CFS patients. The sample may have been biased towards patients taking inulin as prescribed by MDs or via some probiotics.
High Anaerostipes have not been seen in most uBiome samples that I have reviewed from readers. I did an earlier post for a specific strain here.
This post describes what feeds or inhibits it.
- Saccharomyces boulardii
- “Anaerostipes were correlated with negative mood. ” 
- “Probiotic (Lactobacillus paracasei DG ) intake induced an increase in Proteobacteria (P = 0.006) and in the Clostridiales genus Coprococcus (P = 0.009), whereas the Clostridiales genus Blautia (P = 0.036) was decreased; a trend of reduction was also observed for Anaerostipes (P = 0.05) and Clostridium (P = 0.06). ” 
- “Two strains, Bifidobacterium pseudocatenulatum LI09 and Bifidobacterium catenulatum LI10,… the depletion of the SCFA-producing bacteria Anaerostipes,” 
- “A. caccae L1-92 failed to grow on starch in pure culture, but in coculture with B. adolescentis L2-32 butyrate was formed,” 
- Reduced by E.Coli Nissle 1917 
Prebiotics: – in general, most are bad (do not decrease)
- “long-chain arabinoxylans (LC-AX) and the well-established prebiotic inulin (IN) were shown to stimulate bacterial groups with known butyrate-producers (Roseburia intestinalis, Eubacterium rectale, Anaerostipes caccae) ” 
- “These findings suggest that L-sorbose and xylitol cause prebiotic stimulation of the growth and metabolic activity of Anaerostipes spp. in the human colon.” 
- “We observed increased relative abundances of Bifidobacterium and Anaerostipes spp. on inulin consumption” 
- ” 5 g Lactulose were required daily for 5 days in this study to exert the full beneficial prebiotic effect consisting of higher bacterial counts of ….Anaerostipes,” 
- “was subsequently found to be susceptible to metronidazole and ertapenem.” 
- “The group M6 (exposed to macrolides within 6 months) had a distinct microbiota composition evident even at the phylum level… and Anaerostipes were reduced in the group M6, whereas the genera Clostridium and Dorea were increased.” 
I recently talked to a uBiome reader with Anaerostipes overgrowth being 450% above normal. It was revealed that the reader was regularly feeding this genus without knowing it (thus encouraging the overgrowth). How?
- Chicory root!!! – the main source of inulin commercially!
- “The highest content of Arabinoxylans is found in Rye, followed by wheat, barley, oats, rice, sorghum,..” 
- Sorbose was included in some of their probiotics and supplements
- Xylitol was used regularly for mouth wash
By conventional alternative and regular medicine they were doing the right thing for the general population, but it may have been a mismatch for themselves!
My suggestion for them to discuss with their medical professionals was to:
- Reduce glucose foods (fructose [fruit sugar] appears to be fine)
- Add Streptococcus probiotics WITHOUT the above items
- Add Lactobacillus paracasei probiotics WITHOUT the above items
- See my solution in this post.
- Add Mutaflor (E.Coli Nissle 1917)
- Flaxseed (or flaxseed oil?)
- No raspberries (study covered only black — but extending the scope is likely good)
- Decrease or stop butyrate producing probiotics
- Decrease or stop B. adolescentis containing probiotics
NOTE: A reader forwarded me a contact to a custom probiotic supplier, I have inquired about the cost and availability of such formulations.
This is an educational post and not intended as medical advice. Always consult with a knowledgeable medical professional.